THE WISDOM OF WINE
This is a ‘glass half full’ workshop for wine lovers and those who want to expand their understanding of the divine grape. Make sure you have a glass of wine in your hand and let’s discuss some essential knowledge all wine drinkers should know as well as learn some pearls of wisdom from the wine connoisseurs. Let’s talk and drink wine!
LET’S START WITH A QUOTE OR TWO
“Wine is one of the most civilized things in the world and one of the most natural things of the world that has been brought to the greatest perfection, and it offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than, possibly, any other purely sensory thing.” Ernest Hemingway
“Wine is sunlight, held together by water.” Galileo Galilei
A VERY BRIEF HISTORY OF WINE
Wine was discovered about 6,000 years ago in Mesopotamia, which today in composed of Iraq and Syria. It was originally fermented by accident when native yeasts stuck to grapes that were stored in containers turned sugars in the grapes into alcohol. The ancient Egyptians refined the science of both grape growing and winemaking, to the point of including wine in burial crypts for consumption in the afterlife. The Greeks spread winemaking throughout the Mediterranean and the Romans turned it into a big business. Spanish exploration of the New World brought winemaking to the Americas, and other Europeans took it to Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.
DRINKING TO ONE’S HEALTH
In ancient Greece, a dinner host would take the first sip of wine to assure guests the wine was not poisoned, hence the phrase “drinking to one’s health.”
WHO IS TOASTING THE WINE
“Toasting” started in ancient Rome when the Romans started dropping a piece of toasted bread into each wine glass to temper undesirable tastes or excessive acidity.
YOUR MOST MEMORABLE GLASS OF WINE
Back in 1982 a man named Michael Fagan broke into Buckingham Palace spending half hour eating cheddar cheese and wandering around. He tripped several alarms, but they were faulty. He viewed the royal portraits and rested on the throne for a while and drank half a bottle of wine. According to the New York Times, he entered the Queen’s bedroom and spent 10 minutes talking to her before security arrived. The incident was one of the 20th Century's worst royal security breaches. He was charged with theft (of the wine), but later.......
*** THIS IS ONLY THE BEGINNING OF THE WISDOM OF WINE WORKSHOP! IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO EXPERIENCE THIS CONVERSATION WORKSHOP IN FULL, WITH A GLASS OF WINE AND A FRIENDLY GROUP OF PEOPLE, THEN PLEASE CONTACT US TO FIND OUT HOW TO PARTICIPATE.
The rest of this workshop will discuss...
- OENOPHILE VS SOMMELIER
- WINE QUIZ!!! TRUE OR FALSE?
- THE GRAPES OF WINE
- TEMPERATURE MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE
- THE WINE GADGET GUY
- CORK VS CAP
- WHITE WINE WITH FISH
- WHERE THE GRAPES DO GROW
- DECANTING WINE
- WINE IS EXPENSIVE
- I HATE MERLOT
- COME QUICKLY, I’M DRINKING THE STARS
- GARY VAYNERCHUK
If you could share a glass of wine with anyone in the world, dead or alive, who would it be?
Please let us know by leaving a response in the comment section below.
- pearls of wisdom: [Portuguese: pérolas de sabedoria]
- connoisseur: (noun) [Portuguese: conhecedor/apreciador] - an expert judge in matters of taste.
- yeast: (noun) [Portuguese: fermento] - a microscopic fungus consisting of single oval cells that reproduce by budding, and are capable of converting sugar into alcohol and carbon dioxide.
- burial: (noun) [Portuguese: enterro] - the action or practice of interring a dead body.
- afterlife: (noun) [Portuguese: vida após a morte] - (in some religions) life after death.
- to wander: (noun) [Portuguese: perambular] - walk or move in a leisurely, casual, or aimless way.
- faulty: (adjective) [Portuguese: defeituoso] - working badly or unreliably because of imperfections.
- security breach: [Portuguese: falha de segurança] – when someone manages to break into a security system or secure place.
- nuance: (noun) [Portuguese: nuance] - a subtle difference in or shade of meaning, expression, or sound.
- to sniff: (verb) [Portuguese: farejar] - draw in air audibly through the nose to detect a smell, to stop it from running, or to express contempt.
- gadget: (noun) [Portuguese: dispositivo] - a small mechanical device or tool, especially an ingenious or novel one.
- myth: ( noun) [Portuguese: mito] - a widely held but false belief or idea.
- tasty: (adjective) [Portuguese: saboroso] - (of food) having a pleasant, distinct flavour.
- steamy: (adjective) [Portuguese: apaixonado] – depicting or involving erotic sexual activity.
- haunting: (adjective) [Portuguese: assombrando] - poignant and evocative; difficult to ignore or forget.
- down-to-earth: (adjective) [Portuguese: com os pés no chão] - with no illusions or pretensions; a person who is practical and realistic.
- snob: (noun) [Portuguese: esnobe] - a person with an exaggerated respect for high social position or wealth who seeks to associate with social superiors and dislikes people or activities regarded as lower-class.
- peak: (adjective) [Portuguese: pico] - reach a highest point, either of a specified value or at a specified time.
- to leverage: (verb) [Portuguese: influênciar] - use (something) to maximum advantage.
- to pour: (verb) [Portuguese: derramar] - (especially of a liquid) flow rapidly in a steady stream.
- rotten: (adjective) [Portuguese: podre] - suffering from decay.
- road trip: (noun) [Portuguese: viagem] - a journey made by car, bus, etc..
- taxes: (noun) [Portuguese: impostos] - a compulsory contribution to state revenue levied by the government.
- monk: (noun) [Portuguese: monge]- a member of a religious community of men typically living under vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience.
- The different types of wine
- Tax on products in Brazil
- The World’s most expensive wines
- Gary Vaynerchuk
- Decanting wine – winefolly.com
- How to open a bottle of wine
- Michael Fagan wine with Queen
- Rich Chinese drinking wine
- Dom Pérignon ‘Drinks the Stars’ - Wired
- "TEXT OF SCOTLAND YARD'S REPORT ON JULY 9 INTRUSION INTO BUCKINGHAM PALACE", The New York Times, 22 July 1982
- WineCradle – Wine transporter
- Bottle Shock – 2008 film
© COPYRIGHT 2016 JAMES WJ SUTTON & ESTÚDIO447 ENGLISH CLUB
** SE VOCÊ GOSTARIA DE USAR O CONTEÚDO DESTE OU QUALQUER OUTRO BLOG POST/ WORKSHOP FAVOR ENTRAR EM CONTATO COM JAMES SUTTON PELO EMAIL JAMES(AT)ESTUDIO447.NET