Endurance, flexibility, intelligence - what does it take to be superhuman? In this workshop we will discover people with photographic memory or who can run ultra-marathons without ever getting tired. We will also discuss the phenomenon of CrossFit and how you can train your superhuman abilities.
WHAT IS A SUPERHUMAN?
Do superhumans only exist as fictional characters in films and comic books? Superman, Wolverine and Wonder Woman possess superhuman abilities enabling them to heal instantly, use x-ray vision and throw cars over buildings – abilities unimaginable to us ordinary beings. But on a planet with over 7 billion humans, each one unique in their own way – are there some who walk among us with real-life superhuman abilities? To be considered superhuman you must have an ability that is not predictable in any given population and is virtually inexplicable. In short – to be a real superhuman you must be able to do the impossible!
Transhuman is a similar concept to superhumans. A transhuman is a being that resembles a human in most respects but who has powers and abilities beyond those of standard humans. These abilities might include improved intelligence, awareness, strength, or durability. Transhumans sometimes appear in science-fiction as cyborgs or genetically-enhanced humans. Many believe that we are now entering a posthuman phase of evolution where genetic engineering and robotics will allow us to enhance our natural abilities.
The übermensch (German for superhuman) is a concept in the philosophy of Friedrich Nietzsche. In his book Nietzsche has his character Zarathustra assert the Übermensch as a goal for humanity to set itself. An idea that Hitler and the Nazi regime adopted to describe their idea of a biologically superior Aryan or Germanic master race. However Hitler’s interpretation was racial and spawned the idea of ‘inferior humans’, which could be dominated and enslaved.
Dean Karnazes is a superhuman running machine. He once ran 50 marathons in 50 days in 50 different American States. He says with each day of this epic endurance challenge he grew stronger. On the last day he ran the last marathon in a record time of 3 hours. He discovered his superhuman ability on his 30th birthday. He had just lost his job and was drinking in a bar when he said "f*** it all. I feel like running”. And just like Forrest Gump he ran out of the bar and never stopped running again. In another challenge he ran 350 continuous miles, foregoing sleep for three nights. Scientists have discovered that after a few minutes of intense exercise his lactic acid levels drop below his ‘at rest’ state, which means he never gets muscle fatigue. And the best part about his superhuman gift is that he can eat more than 5000 calories a day and fuels his running with cookies and pizza.
What we can learn from Dean: “Struggling and suffering are the essence of a life worth living. If you’re not pushing yourself beyond the comfort zone, if you’re not demanding more from yourself – expanding and learning as you go – you’re choosing a numb existence. You’re denying yourself an extraordinary trip.”
*** THIS IS ONLY THE BEGINNING OF THE SUPERHUMANS WORKSHOP! IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO EXPERIENCE THIS CONVERSATION WORKSHOP IN FULL, WITH A GLASS OF WINE AND A FRIENDLY GROUP OF PEOPLE, THEN PLEASE CONTACT US TO FIND OUT HOW TO PARTICIPATE.
The rest of this workshop will discuss...
- THE REAL RAIN MAN
- MARTIAL ARTIST EXTRAORDINAIRE
- THE BOY WITH THE INCREDIBLE BRAIN
- THE MUSICAL GENIUS
- SUPERHUMAN MEMORY
- THE ICEMAN
- TIBETAN MONKS
- FIVE THINGS I HAVE DISCOVERED ABOUT CROSSFIT
We have the technology to develop transhumans i.e. 'superhumans', but should we? Please let us know by leaving a response in the comment section below.
- endurance: (noun) [Portuguese: resistência] - the fact or power of enduring an unpleasant or difficult process or situation without giving way.
- to heal: (verb) [Portuguese: curar] - to make healthy, whole, or sound; restore to health; free from ailment.
- x-ray vision: (noun) [Portuguese: visão raio-x] - the ability to see through physical objects at the discretion of the holder of this superpower.
- Aryan race: [Portuguese: arianos] - a racial grouping commonly used in the period of the late 19th century to the mid-20th century to describe peoples of European and Western Asian heritage.
- assert: (verb) [Portuguese: afirmar] - state with assurance, confidence, or force; state strongly.
- spawned: (verb with object/ past sentence) [Portuguese: gerou] - to produce (spawn).
- epic: (adjective) [Portuguese: épico] happening over a ong eriod and ncluding a lot of ifficulties. - an epic truggle to chieve quality for frican mericans.
- lactic acid: [Portuguese: ácido láctico] - Lactic acid is mainly produced in muscle cells and red blood cells. It forms when the body breaks down carbohydrates to use for energy when oxygen levels are low.
- struggling: (verb to struggle) – [Portuguese: se esforçando/lutando] - strive to achieve or attain something in the face of difficulty or resistance. "many families struggle to make ends meet"
- numb: (adjective) [Portuguese: dormente] - deprived of the power of sensation.
- savant: (noun) [Portuguese: sábio] - a person who does not have normal intelligence but who has very unusual mental abilities that other people do not have. Also a learned person, especially a distinguished scientist.
- handicapped: (adjective) [Portuguese: deficient] - having a condition that markedly restricts one's ability to function physically, mentally, or socially.
- feat: (noun) [Portuguese: proeza] - an achievement that requires great courage, skill, or strength.
- blur: (noun) [Portuguese: desfoque/ borrão] - a thing that cannot be seen or heard clearly.
- adamant: (adjective) [Portuguese: inflexível] - refusing to be persuaded or to change one's mind.
- hamingja: Icelandic for happiness.
- sorg: Icelandic for sadness.
- “Meet the Superhumans”, Emma John, November 2012, The Guardian
- “Dean_Karnazes Wikipedia”
- “Kim Peek Wikipedia”
- “Bruce Lee Wikipedia”
- “Daniel Tammet Wikipedia”
- “Stephen Wiltshire Wikipedia”
- “Inside the Superhuman World of the Iceman”, Matt Shea, VICE
- “Tummo Wikipedia”
- “50 Real Life Superhumans That Will Inspire and Amaze You!”, Rob StGeorge, June 2015 Sapien Plus Real life superhumans
- “Dean Karnazes - Late Night with Conan O'Brien”, November 2006
- “The Boy With The Incredible Brain” Focus Productions Ltd, Documentary
- “My Beautiful Disaster: Derek Amato at TEDxMiddlebury”
- “Stephen Wiltshire's Singapore Panorama. Full timelapse”, July 2014,
- “Tibetan Buddhist Monks Meditation and Science. Tummo meditation”
© COPYRIGHT 2017 JAMES WJ SUTTON & ESTÚDIO447 ENGLISH CLUB
** SE VOCÊ GOSTARIA DE USAR O CONTEÚDO DESTE OU QUALQUER OUTRO BLOG POST/ WORKSHOP FAVOR ENTRAR EM CONTATO COM JAMES SUTTON PELO EMAIL JAMES(AT)ESTUDIO447.NET