CONSPIRACY THEORIES OF OUR TIME
In this workshop we will debate if there is any truth behind conspiracy theories such as ‘the moon landing was a hoax’, ‘the death of Princess Diana was not an accident’ and ‘the truth about 9/11’. Let’s discuss some of the biggest and most controversial conspiracy theories of our time.
WHAT IS A CONSPIRACY THEORY?
A conspiracy theory is a belief that some covert but influential organisation is responsible for a circumstance or event, typically considered to be illegal or harmful. Although the term "conspiracy theory" has acquired a derogatory meaning over time and is often used to dismiss or ridicule beliefs in conspiracies. There is, for example, a conspiracy theory that Paul McCartney from the Beatles actually died in 1966 and was replaced by a look-alike.  Considering none of his family or friends seemed to notice the difference, I think it is fairly safe for us to dismiss this conspiracy as ridiculous.
However, not all conspiracy theories turn out to be untrue. There are proven conspiracies, such as the revelations that occurred in 2013 when Edward Snowden released classified information from the US National Security Agency (NSA). Many suspected the US government was involved in illegal mass surveillance of both its own people as well as other nations, but it was not until Snowden’s actions that the entire world had proof. The shocking revelations included the illegal capture and storage of telephone, email and online communications inside America as well as abroad; not excluding supposed American allies such as the German Chancellor Angela Merkel and Brazil’s President Dilma Roussef.
CONSPIRACY No. 1: THE MOON LANDING WAS A HOAX
The theory that the moon landings were hoaxed by the US government to assert their victory in the space race over Russia is something which has grown in popularity over time. After the Apollo missions ended in the seventies, nobody ever returned to the moon. However, there is speculation that if anyone does go back to the lunar surface it will most likely be the Chinese who get there first.  But will the Chinese be able to confirm if the Apollo landing sites are real? Unlikely, as the US have declared these site to be protected as “World Heritage Sites” and off limits to other nations. 
CURIOUS FACTS ABOUT THE MOON LANDING
* THE WAVING FLAG: Conspiracy theorists have pointed out that when the first moon landing was shown on live television, viewers could clearly see the American flag waving and fluttering as Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin planted it. Photos of the landing also seem to show rippling in a breeze. The obvious problem here is that there is no air in the moon’s atmosphere, and therefore no wind to cause the flag to blow.
* MULTIPLE LIGHT SOURCES: On the moon there is only one strong light source - the Sun. So it’s fair to suggest that all shadows should run parallel to one another. But this was not the case during the moon landing. Videos and photographs clearly show that shadows fall in different directions. Conspiracy theorists suggest that this must mean multiple light sources are present - suggesting that the landing photos were taken on a film set.
*** THIS IS ONLY THE BEGINNING OF THE CONSPIRACY THEORIES OF OUR TIME WORKSHOP! IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO EXPERIENCE THIS CONVERSATION WORKSHOP IN FULL, WITH A GLASS OF WINE AND A FRIENDLY GROUP OF PEOPLE, THEN PLEASE CONTACT US TO FIND OUT HOW TO PARTICIPATE.
The rest of this workshop will discuss...
- CONSPIRACY No. 2: PRINCESS DIANA’S DEATH WAS NOT AN ACCIDENT
- THE OFFICIAL STORY OF DIANA’S DEATH
- CONSPIRACY THEORY ABOUT DIANA’S DEATH
- SOME STRANGE FACTS ABOUT DIANA’S DEATH AS THEY WERE REPORTED
- CONSPIRACY No. 3: 9/11 WAS AN INSIDE JOB
- INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT 9/11
Are there any conspiracy theories that you believe in? If yes, then which?
Please let us know by leaving a response in the comment section below.