ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE: THE FUTURE OR THE EXTINCTION OF HUMANITY?
* A discussion about the rapid advances in artificial intelligence and the impact this is having on our lives. Will it help us achieve our ideal world or will it spell the end of us? WARNING: You may find this subject shocking.
In this workshop we will discuss some of the rapid advances in artificial intelligence and the impact this is having on our lives. Experts around the world are alerting us to the fact that artificial intelligence will transform our lives in unimaginable ways and it will very likely happen in our life times. But will it help us achieve our ideal world free of hunger, disease and suffering or will it spell the end of us – ultimately resulting in our extinction?
* I would like to credit Tim Urban’s excellent Wait But Why article 'The AI Revolution: The Road to Superintelligence' as the original inspiration and basis for much of the content contained in this workshop.
YOU MAY LIVE TO 150
What if I started by telling you that you may live to be 150 years old, or perhaps even 250 years old or that you may never die at all. Your instinct would be to tell me that this is crazy, right! Because if there is one thing that we all know from history, it’s that everybody dies - nobody has not died in the past. Fact! But as we progress through this workshop just consider that nobody ever flew in airplanes before they were invented either. If someone told you that one-day you would be able to fly through the sky from London to São Paulo before airplanes existed you would think they were crazy too.
WHAT IS AI - ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE?
First of all, stop thinking of robots. In fictional movies we see evil robots trying to destroy humanity. Think of the robot like the human body and the AI is the brain. AI is the computer and it doesn’t need to have a body.
ARTIFICIAL NARROW INTELLIGENCE (ANI):
This is AI that specializes in one area. The greatest chess player in the world today is not human, it’s an ANI, but that’s the only thing it does. ANI’s are programmed to be very good at one specific task.
* Google’s self-driving car is another example of ANI, which has now logged over 1,000,000 miles of accident-free autonomous driving.
* Google search is an example of a very powerful ANI. For example....
*** THIS IS ONLY THE BEGINNING OF THE ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE WORKSHOP! IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO EXPERIENCE THIS CONVERSATION WORKSHOP IN FULL, WITH A GLASS OF WINE AND A FRIENDLY GROUP OF PEOPLE, THEN PLEASE CONTACT US TO FIND OUT HOW TO PARTICIPATE.
The rest of this workshop will discuss...
- BREAKTHROUGHS IN DEEP LEARNING
- BIG DATA & AI
- ARTIFICIAL GENERAL INTELLIGENCE (AGI)
- EXPONENTIAL GROWTH OF COMPUTING
- ARTIFICIAL SUPER-INTELLIGENCE (ASI)
- RAY KURZWEIL
- OUR DISTORTED VIEW OF INTELLIGENCE
- THE REALITY - INTELLIGENCE IS GROWING EXPONENTIALLY
- WHY ARE SO MANY OF THE WORLD’S SMARTEST PEOPLE WORRIED ABOUT AI RIGHT NOW?
- THE MOSQUITO AND THE SPIDER
- KING MIDAS
- THE FIRST ASI WILL BE THE LAST
- THREE FILMS TO WATCH ABOUT AI
Are you more optimistic or pessimistic about the impact an Artificial Superintelligence will have on humans?
Please let us know by leaving a response in the comment section below.
- artificial intelligence: (noun) [Portuguese: inteligência artificial] - the theory and development of computer systems able to perform tasks that normally require human intelligence, such as visual perception, speech recognition, decision-making, and translation between languages.
- creepy: (adjective) [Portuguese: assustador] - causing an unpleasant feeling of fear or unease.
- to decipher: (verb) [Portuguese: decifrar] - convert (a text written in code, or a coded signal) into normal language. "enable the government to decipher coded computer transmissions"
- crude: (adjective) [Portuguese: bruto] - in a natural or raw state; not yet processed or refined. Also something very simple or basic.
- goldmine: (noun) [Portuguese: mina de ouro] – literally a place where gold is mined. Or used as an expression to describe something that will creates lots of money.
- to drown: (verb) [Portuguese: afogar] - die through submersion in and inhalation of water.
- fraud: (noun) [Portuguese: fraude] - wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial or personal gain.
- venture capital: (noun) [Portuguese: capital de risco] - capital invested in a project in which there is a substantial element of risk, typically a new or expanding business.
- to beat: (verb) [Portuguese: derrotar] - win a victory over (someone) in a battle or other contest; overcome or beat.
- smarter: (adjective) [Portuguese: mais esperto] - having or showing a quick-witted intelligence.
- summoning the demon: (expression) [Portuguese: chamando o demônio] – to invite something really bad to happen, such as inviting the devil or opening Pandora’s box.
- threat: (noun) [Portuguese: ameaça] - a statement of an intention to inflict pain, injury, damage, or other hostile action on someone in retribution for something done or not done.
- to squash: (verb) [Portuguese: esmagar] - crush or squeeze (something) with force so that it becomes flat, soft, or out of shape.
- curse: (noun) [Portuguese: maldição] - a solemn utterance intended to invoke a supernatural power to inflict harm or punishment on someone or something.
- breath-taking: (adjective) [Portuguese: de tirar o fôlego] - astonishing or awe-inspiring in quality, so as to take one's breath away.
- lonely: (adjective) [Portuguese: solitário] - sad because one has no friends or company.
- “The AI Revolution: The Road to Superintelligence”, Urban, Tim, January 2015, Wait But Why
- “What happens when our computers get smarter than we are?” Nick Bostrom, March 2015, TED Talk
- “2014 in Computing: Breakthroughs in Artificial Intelligence” Simonite, Tim, December 2014, MIT Technology Review
- “From Science Fiction to Reality: The Evolution of Artificial Intelligence” Shani, Or, January 2015, WIRED
- Ray Kurzweil – The Singularity is Near
- James Barrat – Our Final Invention
- Nick Bostrom – Superintelligence: Paths, Dangers, Strategies
© COPYRIGHT 2016 JAMES WJ SUTTON & ESTÚDIO447 ENGLISH CLUB
** SE VOCÊ GOSTARIA DE USAR O CONTEÚDO DESTE OU QUALQUER OUTRO BLOG POST/ WORKSHOP FAVOR ENTRAR EM CONTATO COM JAMES SUTTON PELO EMAIL JAMES(AT)ESTUDIO447.NET